Monday, May 21, 2007

It Just Gets Worse

"Life Just Sucks Sometimes."

-Me

I don't know how to say this with as much power as I hope it will get. It's not quite easy to stun me as much as what happened today. In fact, I've already gotten the feeling that the world really is out to get me. Mum's got cancer surgery and I already wrote about how that affected me. What next? I had to ask.

My dog died today. Yeah, there are a few of you that don't see that as being a horrible thing but I'm a true dog lover, tried and true. While I like cats, it's the large personality of a 4-legged goofball like 5-Pound Phooey that gets me going each day. I'm lucky that she didn't bite the bullet but one of the others did, Ellie-Mae. It's definitely what every dog owner hates but will eventually succumb to at some point.

Ellie-Mae. How do I explain this one? She was a bit fat, rude, noisy, but one look at those big dark eyes and you'll forget all about those things. Dinner was spent with Ellie-Mae's head on my foot. Whenever fire trucks or ambulances drive by, she'd howl. Whenever I wasn't feeling well, Ellie would nudge me and insist on some attention. Her big ears knew when I was in the kitchen. Food was the most important thing to her as evidenced by her need to be in the kitchen or the inevitable 'Meatball Story."

Once upon a time, there lived a somewhat weight-challenged Yorkshire Terrier watching her mother make meatballs. She prayed and prayed for the almighty event of eating one. 20 minutes of watching didn't seem to pay off. It was here that Ellie-Mae prayed as hard as she could possibly do with her 13 pounds of furry self. The sound. It came, a splat. Ellie-Mae and Mum looked at each other. Both were shocked. Only one saw it as a possibility that dreams do come true. The floor was clean once again as Ellie-Mae went right back to begging for more. See? Meatballs do come true.

So, while I have much to tell about my time spent down south with Bald-O, I'm not in the mood just yet. Ellie-Mae's death last night stunned me because the news was given to me just as I entered the door. I am stunned still. Her buddy, Jethro, has been behaving very strange while I've had a few tears come down as I was fixing dinner for the him and the 3 others, 5-Pound Phooey, Bonnie, Clyde. My mom told me she found Ellie-Mae in the kennel this morning and then burst out crying. Forget cancer. The worst thing in the world is to find your lil' buddy that takes naps with you gone. She had so much personality and attitude that I called her 'Hoss' on occasion. This is the worst thing about owning an animal. Not only do I wish a puppy could stay like that forever instead of growing up, I wish they could stay longer. The good ones are always worth keeping so I'm going to take 5-Pound Phooey for a long run today after the gym even if I kind of hate my life right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand how losing a pet feels... sorry about that.

Zuzu said...

Oh that's so terrible. My heart breaks for you. It's the saddest thing. - Zuzu