Monday, October 29, 2007

We'll Go Our Way

"Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects."

-My fortune cookie from this weekend

Definitely a sign of couplehood. When a group of people you are friends with decide to go to a show where you're just not into it as they are, the couple instead go off to have an adventure all to themselves. Welcome to growing up and traveling down the backroads in search of some wolves with Sara and I.

Yes, I am back and in all sorts of spirits. It's tough to explain since I've come home this morning from Indiana, gone to work, and then do the insane thing of going all out at the gym. Is it any wonder I am so tired once I get home? Trust me. I only love this when the weather is colder since it gives me more reason to enjoy sleep. Sara turned me into a night owl and I've only recently noticed the power it has.

But wolves? Yes, I got to see real fucking wolves because Sara and I wanted an adventure. You'd think that after almost 3 years together that we'd slow down and go bird watching? Shame. There's a part that is almost animalistic when it comes to Sara and I because we like the things that remind us to accept that there are alphas to help guide us. That and we just wanted to see some fucking wolves. Gorgeous animals that I did a 22-page paper about in my freshman year of college.

It's always been on our minds to visit a wolf park when I mentioned it upon reading a brochure about Indiana's places of interest. While I've had my moments of finding myself at places Abraham Lincoln walked in Illinois, there is something that fascinates me about wolves, sharks, bears, and kangaroos. You should have the feeling that I love animals, seeing as I have very little fear of them, especially large dogs. Yes, it was also an odd feeling knowing that the group went one way while Sara and I hit a route for a 12-mile drive. Not sure if anyone else would be as into wolves as we were but...........

Awesome! I'm in love with the place, the wolf park. There's a huge amount of land used to keep various wolves, 3 foxes, 2 coyotes, and a large amount of bison. There was no issue with me over paying $7 each for tickets because everything about that place shows a large amount of love for the wolves and what they do. Every wolf that's lived on this land has been kept track of and remembered since the 70's.

No, you don't get to hang out with the wolves, something I would have done if asked. Yes, I am that insane to just walk into a large contained area to hang out with things many people would mistakenly call 'very large dogs with a lot of hair.' It's just me. Someone once told me that my presence disarms people and animals so easily. Wolves may be a bit different and very dangerous when compared to other animals. It's just that a part of me still sees them as these gorgeous strong masses of fur. Respect, yo.

What was majorly cool was to see the bison's large land area. While the lady gave the usual information over a mic, wolves were being allowed into this area behind us. Not many knew. Hell, I didn't expect to see bison placed in the same area. You'd normally think that everything was coordinated off for each set of animals. Here's your koalas and next up is a tree with magical worms with nipples. Nope, here's a large amount of bison and *psst* you're gonna love watching the wolves stalk them, buddy.

Well, I knew a little more about what was going on thanks to a 22-page paper. While many in the audience thought that the bison were in deep shit, 500-pound masses of muscle and hair can hold their own against 2 wolves allowed in. That's just what they did. The biggest took point and watched the wolves run around (acting like nothing's going on) while the other ate the apples thrown from a truck. We were lucky because shortly after there was an incident to watch where the bison almost got into it with the wolves. A rabbit was found and chased. Lucky for the rabbit, it ran into the herd of bison just fast enough for the wolves to have to put on the brakes. You just don't mess with a big badass bison. Wolves took off upon realizing the error. Rabbit was seen giggling off into the great wide open.

What is just me being fascinated, I stood up and was shocked when I saw a definite attack formation from the wolves. I kept thinking that there is no way these 2 would go after a very healthy 500 pounds. Man, I'll admit to a small let-down to know it was just a rabbit nearby that got them started. You see these things on segments about carnivores like lions, tigers, and bear but real life? Wolves are amazing and very sneaky but friendly enough for the caretakers to just walk up to them with chains (no leashes that are too easy to break) after giving them enough fun in the chase. Wish I could do that.

So, this is me signing off now. I'm really, really tired after another long weekend. Sara and I seem to do a lot during each visit that I could swear to wanting just a nice time indoors. My body's done and needs to be baked, not cooked. Hell, I sound old and probably shouldn't talk like that since cold weather will be here soon. 2 to 3 more outdoor weekends should be plenty for these old bones.

As for the bringer of anticipation:

-There will be a lot of pictures soon (be patient and, yes, I am getting a very nice digital camera)
-A Halloween party where I shocked people with my outfit (pictures of this, yes, we shall show)

Stay tuned, folks. I'm back in town with a few days to kill. One sex session did come close to killing me, though. Where do I get the energy to keep up with her? Happy twats all around.

No comments: